Friday, August 12, 2011

let's talk: Religion and census

So last night was census night here in Australia and the big question on everyone’s lips is what religion did you put a mark next to? Or at least it’s on the fingertips of every facebook user.
Even before the census papers were printed, a facebook event had been created, urging people to write “no religion” on their census form. Why? To keep religion out of politics.
Great idea.
On my forms I ticked “no religion” because my religious choices were not listed among those on the list on the firms. I could have written it in the boxed provided, but I doubt it would have counted for anything.
Technically, I am not a religious person. I have faith in things, but not in an all-powerful-god-like figure.
I have faith in the good of humanity, even in the wake of what’s going on over in London at the moment.
I believe that our destinies are within our control.
I hope that when we die, we go to a place of rest. But I also believe in the existence of ghosts.
A few years ago I dabbled in experimenting with Wicca and Paganism, but I had trouble with the visualisation parts and my interest waned. Now, if put under pressure to determine what religion I am, I identify myself as a non-practicing Pagan who was a baptised Roman Catholic baby.
There isn’t a box for that.
Believe in what you want to believe in. Find a religion that is the best fit for you. That’s all I’m going to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment