Saturday, May 3, 2014

On the train ride home...

It was the jewel that got my attention first, not the silver lacework setting or the long chain that it hung on. I only had eyes for that large, red, multi-faceted stone.
I told myself that it had to be a fake stone. I thought that no one would wear something like that in a town like this if it was real.
Then, to distract myself, I looked closer at the setting. I really paid attention to that silver, metal lacework. It was an unusual design, a unique one. One such as only few people ever wear it.
Whoever this woman was, she was either a brave sort of stupid or someone very dangerous.
It couldn't be, I told myself, forcing my eyes to the phone in my hands. I lifted it as if checking a message and snapped a photo of her to show my friends.
Then I dropped the phone back into my bag and went to looking out the train window as if I thought the back yards we passed by were utterly compelling.
I couldn't wait to show my friends that I had finally seen one of Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment